Tuesday, November 9, 2010

#21 combined with Assigned 11/23

Today, Hurst made clear the pyramid of language, from the definitions of idiolect to dialect and language.

I found one thing exceptionally interesting from today's lesson. First, the thought of social media creating its own language resonates. I remember the learning curve in 6th grade, when my SN (Screen Name) was actually cool, johndebomb. An example conversation (with translation) follows:

johndebomb: wassup? (What are you doing?)
cheerchik123: nmhjc. u? (Not much here, just chilling. you?)
johndebomb: same. brb. (Same. I'll be right back)
cheerchik123: pob. (Parent over back)

Hours and hours of my middle and high school years were spent slaving over the computer communicating to friends (I guess not much has really changed: Facebook, email, Blogger). Well this language manifested itself through school notes; the age of passing gel-penned and folded notes ruled my middle school halls. I am sure these text notes were a national craze at the time, currently taking its form through cell-phones. Well these Instant Messaging conversations were only the beginning to my digital life. I remember exploring with Myspace and Facebook up and into college, Facebook turning out to be very helpful even in the job arena.

In High School, I remember taking a few computer courses: Business Applications, Multi-Media Animations, and AutoCAD. I didn't sign up for them thinking I was gaining valuable skills for life; I joined them because I was curious. Looking back, Business Applications taught me great skills for using Microsoft Office and basic Flash and Photoshop (all of which are very valuable in the college arena).

I believe I will continue to use digital media (Facebook and LinkedIN when I graduate) upon entering the real world. Using digital media can seem overwhelming even for me (who cannot remember a time before the internet). Encouragement to those who think using digital media is impossible for them: The hardest thing about using Facebook, LinkedIN, and other forms exists in learning to use them. Once you learn to use them, the activity can be as enjoyable as reading. Even with reading, we must learn to dive so deep we are no longer conscious we are reading.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment