Friday, December 3, 2010

#12 Assigned 11/30

And now, the moment you have been waiting for: my acknowledging that I like the Harry Potter series. Harry Potter came out recently so I guess I will to (...haha, or was Dumbledore the one with a partner?): I have read one and a half of J.K Rowling's novels and have enjoyed them very much. I wish I had read the books earlier, especially before the movies became Blockbuster hits.

I can remember watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in theaters with my family. Just in time for the holidays, magic was in the air:



However, I am glad I was not as let down when viewing the movie for the first time like those devoted readers. This is normally the trend. Even in my own experience, reading a book and then watching an interpretation of the book in film form Always causes discomfort.



In fact, we held discussions class today ove the reasons for being upset. It was interesting how most of the answers revolved around imagination. Those who have read the books prior to seeing the films have more invested in the stories. They have not been given faces for characters; every time I read the word harry potter, I see Daniel Radcliffe's face because I have first seen the movies, just now reading the books. What conclusion can we draw, if any? Every time a movie comes out, don't see it first but watch the movie? That seems a little dumb.

How about a better conclusion--a challenge. If you might dare seek a more challenging, imagination facilitating, and rewarding activity, don't simply flip on the tube to watch dumb people doing life. Live your own life and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment